Thursday 29 December 2011

Insurance

You must have insurance for the time you will spend in New Zealand. Even though you can get some ACC1 help if something happens to you, you are still required to own insurance the day you arrive in New Zealand2.

I have passed the past week reading the terms of agreement of a number of insurances. I decided to choose the Orbit Protect3 insurance, mainly because of its killer price.

On total, I payed NZ$ 285.00 for the 1 year cover. That is R$ 415.23 (IOF included).

Another plus is that Orbit is a New Zealand insurance company. Most of the insurances I saw had their headquarters located in the US. I preferred to choose a local one.

Applying for the insurance is a piece of cake. All you have to do is fill out the form here4 (yes, it is another website), pay the fee (I used a credit card for that) and wait. For me, all the process was completed in about 2 hours! In the end, you receive an email with your certificate of insurance.

That's it!! If you have any queries, feel free to ask!

Take care!!


## Glossary & links ##

1) ACC: Accident Compensation Corporation (http://www.acc.co.nz/)
2) http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/brazilwhs.htm
3) http://www.orbitprotect.com/
4) http://travelnzinsurance.com/new-zealand-working-holiday-insurance?producer=orbitprotect

2 comments:

  1. hi, i'm going to NZ this year and i'm looking for Insurence. Do you recommend it? Or did you have any bad experiences??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello mageii. Thanks for the question.

    I still didn't have to use my insurance, so I can't really tell if Orbit is a good or a bad insurance company. However, I would recommend you to stick with a New Zealand insurance company rather than an US one. I just think that, if you happen to need some help, a New Zealand based insurance company will be more likely to give you a better service (and less headaches) just because you are in New Zealand. Also, from what I have searched, New Zealand insurance companies have better prices.

    ReplyDelete