Monday 6 February 2012

Immigration and Customs in Auckland

After the plane lands you have to pass through a large set of isles. As you pass through them, some really cool effects take place like bird sounds and water dropping (like waterfalls and rivers). I found the distance so large that I felt I was going out of the airport. =P

When I finally arrived in the Immigration, I gave the officer my Passenger Arrival Card and my Working Holiday Visa letter and said: "I have a Working Holiday Visa from Brazil". He didn't even look at the letter (I guess because he had this information on his system). He just asked me what kind of "prohibit or restricted items" I was bringing in (because I had marked "Yes" to the question "Are you bringing into New Zealand: Goods that may be prohibited or restricted, for example medicines, weapons, indecent publications, endangered species of flora or fauna, illicit drugs or drug paraphernalia?"). I said I was bringing 3 boxes of medicine. He then asked me what kind of medicine were those. I said it was just medicines for cold (because I was not feeling very good when I left Brazil). I said my throat was hurting and everything. He then asked me how many pills there were in each box!!! I said I didn't know. He then asked me how long does the medicine take to run out. I said it could last for about 2 months. After that he put a big "No" in the question "Do you know the contents of your baggage?" of the PAC (which I had put "Yes"). He then said I could go.

After walking a little bit more you find the baggage carousel area. I took my 2 bags and moved on. You then have to show the Customs officer that very same Passenger Arrival Card. I thought he would wanted me to open my bags because of that huge "No" the previous officer had marked in the form. But he just asked me what kind of "outdoor items" I had brought with me (because I had also put "Yes" to the question "Are you bringing into New Zealand: Items that have been used outdoors, such as boots, golf or sports shoes, tents, used camping, hiking or sports equipment?"). I said I was bringing a pair of flip-flops and a pair of shoes. "Hiking shoes?' he asked me. "No, just like this shoes I'm wearing." I said. "All right!" he said. He then told me I could go and put the bags in the X-Ray (like everybody else). Bags through the X-Ray, no big deal.

That was the last step. After that you just have to follow the "Way out" signs to finally enter New Zealand! I felt such a relief! Even though I knew that the simple medicines I was bringing in could never get me in trouble, I have to be honest that when the first officer put that huge "No" in my form I felt a little threatened. But everything went well and all the officers were very polite. They also spoke relatively slowly, which helped me not having any trouble in understanding them.

Kia ora New Zealand!!! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment