Sunday 5 February 2012

Plane from Santiago to Auckland

A lot of things happened here.

First, after the plane landed, I went to the immigration section (where everybody seemed to be heading to), waited in the line, and, in about 5 minutes, I was attended by the officer at his counter. However,  the officer told me I took the wrong way! =P I was supposed to go upstairs and wait for my next flight there. You don't even have to pass through the Chile Immigration sector if you'll just take another plane to another country (you do have to pass through the Customs though). The Customs take a look at your bag (like your backpack), if you are carrying any, right after you arrive and before you get on the next airplane.

Second, I wanted to buy a bottle of water in the Santiago airport... Guess what the price was? US$ 3.00!! =P Needless to say that there were no drinking fountains around...

The thing is that I could not find my US$ 50.00 bill (I found it just when I arrived in New Zealand) and they simply didn't accept R$ (the Brazilian currency). I was sure they would accept R$ (I went to at least 3 stores in the airport) but none of them wanted to take my R$ 50.00 bill I had in my wallet. I also had NZ$ bills, but they didn't accept as well.

I was left with the only option to change that R$ 50.00 bill to Chilean pesos. However, I didn't want to change R$ 50.00 (because I would not use more than R$ 10.00). So, I went to the exchange house of the airport and asked the person there to change just R$ 20.00 to Chilean pesos for me. He said that was not possible because he didn't have Brazilian bills to give me back. It was rather change all the R$ 50.00 to Chilean pesos or nothing! I stuck with the later and asked for water inside the airplane. =P

One thing I found interesting is that, at the Santiago airport, all the workers at the stores (at least the ones I went to) speaks fairly fluent English! I didn't have any trouble there.

I really liked Santiago's airport. Very beautiful. I found it more beautiful than Cumbica (São Paulo's International Airport). And, by the window, I could see a Petrobras truck loaded with diesel. =) Seemed like I was still in Brazil. =P

Find the other plane in Santiago was a piece of cake. The video screens were very clear on what gate I should go and everything. Nevertheless, I asked an airline person to make sure I was in the right place as well.

When we got on board, I seated by the window, right next to one of the emergencies doors where there was a lot of space for the legs. I have to say though, I hated this stretch from Santiago to Auckland. I simply could no sleep (because the seats could barely incline more than 20º) and the plane was just FREEZING. I was wearing 2 trousers, 2 t-shirts, 1 coat, 1 scarf and 1 hood. And still I found it was not enough. However, I think it's because I seat by the emergency door (it just seemed to me that it was colder than the other seats). And it was also MUCH MORE louder than the rest (I think it just stays behind the bathroom's noise). I don't think I'll ever choose the emergency door seat again.

Inside the airplane they served 2 meals, one right after the plane take off (there was 2 meal options) and one about 2 hours before it lands in Auckland (this time there was only 1 option). The plane was actually going to Sidney. Auckland was just a scale to those who were going there.

About 30 minutes before the scheduled time for the plane to land, I was worried that the crew didn't gave anyone the form we need to fill out to show the officers on Auckland's Immigration sector. I stood up from my seat and went find a flight attendant in the back of the plane. I asked him the form. I found it strange on why they didn't give us the form in the first place. I though you didn't need to ask for it (from Sao Paulo to Santiago, they passed through all the rows asking if you needed the form. I though it would be the same from Santiago to Auckland). Maybe they gave the form while I was in the bathroom for the last time (I doubt that because the main lights of the isles were off and I didn't stay more than 15 minutes inside the bathroom). Anyway, the thing is that I had to ask for the form. So, pay attention to that and keep an eye in the route map in the television set. If the plane is arriving and they didn't give you the form, ask for it.

On the final approximation I could not see much of Auckland (just some lights here and there, but no buildings at all). In fact, it sucked to stay by the window during this route because, in 99% of the trip, there were nothing to see but the ocean (and once it was dark during the whole trip, you couldn't see anything at all). I was just able to see a little bit of Santiago during the take off, but that was it!

13 hours later after the departure from Santiago, the plane landed in Auckland. Time to pass through the Immigration and the Customs. You can find the continuation on the next post! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment