Tuesday 7 February 2012

Things I DON'T like about New Zealand - II (Internet)

I'll be pretty straightforward on this one: the Internet in New Zealand SUCKS!! It is simply the worst broadband connection I have ever seen since Brazilian 3G networks. In fact, you could have a good match between both.

I am writing this post from the Auckland Public Library (located right next to the Albert Park) and the average speed I'm getting is 15KB/s. Yes, you read it right... 15KB/s !!! In Brazil I usually complain when I'm in a connection lower than 200KB/s....


One can argue that that's because I'm in a public network. However, they (the library) also have a ridiculous limit of 100MB of downloading per day, which we all know it is NOTHING. Oh, and the Internet is equally bad in my homestay (on this one, I need to reload at least 50% of the websites I try to access in order to be successful). Videos?? Forget about it!!!

Since I haven't visited another New Zealand city, I'm not 100% sure if I can generalize and say that the Internet is bad in the whole country. However, I'm pretty sure that's the case though (because Auckland is New Zealand's largest and most important city. It should have a decent broadband connection).

If you are planning to come to New Zealand, but can't stand a slow broadband connection, believe me: you should look for some other place.

If you are reading this and you know a place where the Internet isn't slow in Auckland, please, let me know! Just use the comments section below.

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment